Summer Day Camp
CAMP REGISTRATION IS OPEN!
2) Add your family members to your account (do not create new accounts for each member; just add them from your profile).
3) While you are logged in, you can register/pay for camp (and other programs as they open).
CLICK HERE FOR A REGISTRATION WALK-THROUGH
Camp will be $80 a week, regardless of days attended, but will include at least one field trip per week. Siblings will be half price. The first week of camp will be prorated, since it is only 3 days. The 4th of July week will also be prorated.
|First Camper||Additional Siblings|
|4th of July Week||$70||$35|
|All other weeks||$80||$40|
2018 Camp Welcome Letter
The Summer Day Camp will start on June 13, 2018, the Wednesday after the last day of Polk County Schools. It operates from 7:00-6:00 Monday through Friday. We provide a fun-filled, active, and educational experience for children ages 4 - 14. Children must be 4 before the beginning of day camp and must have been in a preschool/school setting prior to attendance. Trips to Roper Mountain Science Center, KidSenses Children's Museum, and the Pisgah National Forest are just a few of the field trips offered weekly. Every Monday afternoon, children are bussed to Gibson Park Pool for swimming fun.
NEW THIS SUMMER:
1) Payments are due the Friday before each week. Delinquency will not be tolerated and will be handled on a case-by-case basis.
2) Each week’s activities, crafts, and field trip will be themed. The weekly themes are on the calendar below.
3) There will be “clubs” for the campers to sign up for that meet throughout the summer twice a week. All campers will select one or two clubs to join (for instance, they can do art on Tuesdays and gardening on Thursdays, or they can do art both days).
Creative Crew Club: Campers will design and create murals, mosaics, and other long-term art around Stearns Gym.
Garden Guardians Club: Campers will travel to area elementary schools to maintain vegetable gardens. They will harvest any vegetables/fruit and learn how to prepare and eat them.
Junior Adventurers Club: Campers will travel to area trails and complete all of the hikes in the Pardee and Conserving Carolina White Squirrel Challenge.
STEM Explorers Club: Campers will use hands-on science, technology, engineering, and math activities to learn about the world around them.
4) We will have a computer kiosk with electronic check-in in the lobby each morning until 9:15 am, after which time you must come up to the office to sign your child in. The kiosk will be available for electronic check out at 4:30 pm. If you need to pick up your camper earlier than 4:30, please come up to the office to check them out.Sample Daily Schedule:
7:00-9:00 Free Time/Campers Arrive
9:00-9:30 Morning Snack
9:30-11:00 Group Games
12:00-3:00 Swim Time
3:00-3:30 Afternoon Snack
3:30-5:00 Crafts/Group Games/Enrichment
5:00-6:00 Free Time/Campers Depart
Frequently Asked Questions...
Do I need to pay before Day Camp starts?
Yes, payments are due the Friday before each week of Day Camp. THIS IS DIFFERENT THAN LAST YEAR. There is also a one time application fee of $20 that must be received in advance. You can pay online HERE, or in person at Stearns Gym.
Can the cousins from Georgia go to day camp when they visit us?
Yes! As long they have registered for the camp and have paid, any child is welcome.
Is there an extra fee for special trips?
This summer, field trip fees are included in the weekly fee.
What do I need to bring with my child to camp?
1) A Rubbermaid-type box with your child's name to hold swim gear, lunches, snacks, and crafts made throughout the day.
2) One lunch and two snacks every day to camp, unless otherwise indicated.
3) Sunscreen is required for the pool, and bug spray can come in handy, as well. If your child is younger, please include an extra set of clothes in case of accidents.
How do I sign up for the field trips?
You will not need to sign up for field trips this year; trips are included. If there is a waiver to sign, it will be on a clipboard at the check-in station.
Can I drop off or pick up my child anytime?
Yes, but please let us know if you plan to drop off at times other than between 7 and 9 am and/or pick up before 4 pm, as we may be out at the pool or otherwise away from Stearns. If you need to drop them off late or pick them up early you MUST go up to the office to check them in/out.
It is in downtown Columbus, behind the old Stearns School on N. Peak St. Here is a map...
Where is Gibson Park Pool?
It is in Columbus on Park St. Here is a map...
Archived Field Trips