Board of Elections
2020 Primary and General Elections
Voters will not be required to show photo ID for the March 3, 2020 Primary Election.
In a December 31 order, a federal district court blocked North Carolina's voter photo ID requirement from taking effect. The injunction will remain in place until further order of the court.
2020 Primary Results
General Election - November 3rd
List of Contests / Candidates on November ballot
Next Board of Elections Meeting:
April 13th, 4:00 pm
Agenda: 1) Congressional Dist 11 runoff preparations
@ Board of Elections Office
Womack Building, 40 Courthouse St. Columbus NC 28722
30 Day Residency Notice:
You must be a resident of North Carolina and of Polk County at least 30 days prior to any Municipal, Primary, General Election or Presidential Election.
Campaign Finance Information www.ncsbe.gov
The Polk County Board of Elections is committed to conducting fair, honest, impartial and efficient elections so that all qualified citizens in Polk County may exercise their right to vote. The Elections Office is responsible for conducting all elections in Polk County, including municipal, county, state, and federal elections, as well as special referenda.
- -Maintain Voter Registration Records
- -Receive Candidate Filing for General Assembly and local candidates
- -Campaign Finance office for local candidates/committees
- -Provide for Remote Absentee Voting
- -Provide for Election Day Voting
- -Report Election Day Results to Public and Authorities
- -Evaluate and Improve Election Services
- -Provide Election Reports and Statistical Information
- -Provide Precinct Official Training and Educate Election Day Officials
Other Community Services Include:
- -Provide voter and precinct information to public
- -Provide registration materials and advice for community registration drives
- -Visit community groups for voter/election education
NC State Board of Elections Web site = http://www.ncsbe.gov/
The following are the Board Members for 2019-2021:
Chair Sharon Goettert, Member Renee McDermott, Secretary Michael Veatch, Member Keith Holbert, and Member Scott Woodworth
Director of Elections
Board of Elections Address (Physical and Mailing)
40 Courthouse St.
Columbus, NC 28722
PO Box 253
8:30 am -5:00 PM Mon-Fri