Board of Elections
The Polk County Board of Elections is committed to conducting fair, honest, impartial and efficient elections so that all qualified citizens in Polk County may exercise their right to vote. The Elections Office is responsible for conducting all elections in Polk County, including municipal, county, state, and federal elections, as well as special referenda.
- -Maintain Voter Registration Records
- -Receive Candidate Filing for General Assembly and local candidates
- -Campaign Finance office for local candidates/committees
- -Provide for Remote Absentee Voting
- -Educate Election Day Officials
- -Provide for Election Day Voting
- -Report Election Day Results to Public and Authorities
- -Evaluate and Improve Election Services
- -Provide Election Reports and Statistical Information
Other Community Services Include:
- -Assist in High School Government Elections
- -Provide voter and precinct information to public
- -Assist Kids Voting Polk County
- -Provide registration materials and advice for community registration drives
- -Visit community groups for voter/election education
Dates to Remember for 2012
2012 GENERAL ELECTION
Friday, September 7 8:00 AM First Day Absentee (By Mail)
Friday, October 12 5:00 PM Deadline for Registration
Thursday, October 18 8:00 AM First Day Absentee (ONE STOP)
Tuesday, October 30 5:00 PM Last Day Absentee (By Mail)
Saturday, November 3 1:00 PM Last Day Absentee (ONE STOP)
Monday, November 5 5:00 PM Last Day to Return Absentee Ballots
And Sick/Disabled Deadline
Tuesday, November 6 6:30 AM-7:30 PM GENERAL ELECTION
Friday, November 16 11:00 AM Canvass Day
1. All requests for absentee ballots must be received by the Polk County Board of Elections office by 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday, October 30, 2012.
2. Voted absentee ballots must be received by the Board of Elections office by 5:00 p.m. on Monday, November 6, 2012. A voted ballot must be returned by mail, hand-delivered by the voter or hand-delivered by the voter's near relative as defined above.
Board meetings are held monthly on the 3rd Tuesday at the Elections office at 9:00 AM. Meetings are subject to change.
Please contact the Elections office to confirm.
Rebecca Kennedy, Chairperson
Judy P. Arledge, Secretary
George Comparetto, Member
Click on the links below for more information. (You must have adobe reader to view these files)
Tracy Waters, Director of Elections
Karen Lawrence, Deputy Director for Voter Registration
Board of Elections Address (Physical and Mailing)
40 Courthouse St.
Columbus, NC 28722
PO Box 253